top of page
  • Writer's picturecloud9services

Finding and Working with a State Licensed Contractor is the best way to go!

When hiring an underground utility and excavation contractor, things may get overwhelming. As a property owner, it is important that you hire someone who is licensed and insured. The Department of Business and Professional Regulation (DBPR) does a great job at bringing awareness to the companies that do not have the proper permits, licenses and insurances.

They respond quickly to complaints from customers. Complaints from legitimate companies are also addressed and responded to in a timely manner.

There are a few things to consider once you hire the contractor. As the property owner, if you hire a state licensed contractor, you have authority over the contractor. If at any point you have a problem with the licensee, you have the following options:

If the contractor abandons the project and refuses to respond to the customer, you can call the DBPR and report the situation. The DBPR will then contact the contractor in order to resolve the situation. Every licensed contractor who wishes to maintain their license will immediately work with the DBPR and get the issue resolved.

In the event that the contracting company has gone out of business, the property owner still has the right to to go directly to the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board’s Construction Industry Recovery. Depending on the situation, the board will then work on resolving the issue and refund a portion or all of the losses.

The rules for the fund read:

“Payment may be available from the construction industries recovery fund if you lose money on a project performed under contract, where the loss results from specific violations of Florida Law by a state-licensed contractor. For information about the recovery fund and filling a claim, contract the Florida Construction Industry licensing Board at the following telephone number and address: Department Of Business and professional Regulation, Construction Industry Licensing Board, 7960 Arlington Expressway, Suite 300, Jacksonville, Florida 32211-7467. Telephone: (850) 727-3650. “

All residential construction contracts are required to contain this clause. The fund provides residential property owners who contract with licensed Underground Utility and Excavation contractors with the ability to recover up to $50,000.00.

For additional information contact us at 407-481-2851.

17 views0 comments
bottom of page